Shop Setup

David Skolnik dskolnik@msmnyc.edu
Sun Jun 29 14:47 MDT 1997

At 02:13 PM 6/29/97 -0500, you wrote:
>List,
>   Any ideas on parts and small item storage?
>   Do you recommend a peg-board system on the wall for hand tools,
>rather than  shelving?

Avery - I find pegboard very useful for frequently used tools, but in
general I would keep as much as possible in some kind of enclosure to help
maintain minimum dust levels.
Tuning pins, piano wire and bass strings should be in a controled climate
(humidity control).

I use a series of Akro-Mills storage bins with different size drawers for
much of the small patts inv.

Materials taking up more space like bushing cloth, keybuttons, keytops, etc.
go in plastic bins (Rubbermaid) on shelves. (labeled of course).

Screws and the like are in their boxes in corrugated bin boxes on steel
shelves vertically spaced apart only wide enough to capture the tail of the
bin box so that it will not fall out when pulled forward.  I pretend also
that this reduces the tendency to collect dust.

>   Right now, my new shop is basically a decent size room with a sink
>in one corner.

You may have already described your new facility in detail, in which case
I'd appreciate it if you would tell me where to look,  but if not, can you
describe the size, layout, lighting, air system, dust control system,
machinery,  and other pertenent info.  If you think this is not of general
interest you could post me directly.  I am asking because I have learned,
belatedly that I may have the opportunity/burden of relocating my shop, and
would like to have the benefit of other people's experience or thoughts.

Good luck
David Skolnik
Manhattan School Of Music
dskolnik@msmnyc.edu