Tuning pin hole reamers

Paul Kupelian kupelian@Oswego.EDU
Sun Jun 29 13:54 MDT 1997

On Sat, 28 Jun 1997, Avery Todd wrote:
Avery,

I did not receive any private posts. Dave Skolnik is the only reply that
was posted to the general list.  I think this system will work nicely for
what you want to do.  I did speak to Webb on the phone about his
procedures and he did offer some suggestions.

First, I cleaned the holes by reaming with a drill bit that was close to
the #2 pin size.  Then I mixed the wood rebuilder to a very soft
consistency, almost like molasses, and used a hammer shank to swab the
holes. I found mixing small amounts of wood rebuilder to work best. You
have to work fast because it sets up really quick.  Even at a soft
consistancy, you only have a few minutes, probably enough time to swab 30
or 40 holes.
Webb suggested useing a regular drill bit to ream the hole once
the wood has cured or to use a reamer.  I do know that once the hole was
treated with the wood rebuilder, that the #2 pin would not go in without
reaming.

> I'm particularly interested in what you mention because I need
> restring our Hamburg D (or possibly just the top two sections again). I've
> already gone to 3/0 pins the first time I restrung it and don't want to go
> larger.

>    I guess I could swab the holes with the CA glue treatment discussed
> recently. Comments anyone? Thanks.

I'm not in favor of useing CA for this procedure.

The piano is now going to be refinished before I string the piano and I
will
be doing the pin hole reaming in a few weeks. I will keep everyone posted
as to my results.

Regards,
Paul

Paul Kupelian, RPT