Back checks

Paul E. Dempsey dempsey@ramlink.net
Thu Jun 26 17:12 MDT 1997

>I am rebuilding the action on one of our "Ds" this Summer.  Does anyone
>have a favorite (or more likely a least-unfavorite) way to remove back
>checks and wires?  Steinway intends for them to stay put I guess.
>Removing them without breaking off the little shoe is prefered!
>
>Any and all ideas appreciated.
>
>dave porritt

Dave,

To continue this thread a little, and this is not a question....just
thinking out loud, let's assume that all the back checks come out cleanly.
The gauge of older back check wires is generally a good bit larger than
that of new wires,so, will you plug the old holes and re-drill for the new
size?

 Or, since we can't assume that the old checks will come out cleanly and
you will loose a few, some, a lot,  of keyend caps anyway, what about
replacing ALL the keyend caps with a hard maple or laminated material.
Something that will hold the wire more reliably than the soft wood you
usually find.

I have done it both ways..... one way takes about the same amount of time
as the other. What do ya think?
Anyone else?

Paul E. Dempsey
Piano Tuner/Technician