Back checks

Scott.Thile Scott.Thile
Wed Jun 25 09:05 MDT 1997

Hi Dave and list,

Dave Porrit writes:

>I am rebuilding the action on one of our "Ds" this Summer.  Does anyone
>have a favorite (or more likely a least-unfavorite) way to remove back
>checks and wires?  Steinway intends for them to stay put I guess.
>Removing them without breaking off the little shoe is prefered!

I use a small block of wood with a saw kerf cut to allow for sliding it
under the backcheck and surronding the wire.  I then grabe the wire with
dykes or plyers and ease the wire out by pushing the dykes down against
my block (the back side of the block is beveled to facilitate this).  The
block gives me better leverage with the dykes at the same time as
supporting the shoe, preventing most split outs.  I Pull the wire out
toward the back of the key (the direction of the wire angle) Some wires
are angled into the key while others are straight.

 Something like this....
                        _
                       / |
                       | |