Pianodisc/Pianomation systems

David Porritt dporritt@post.cis.smu.edu
Thu Jun 19 12:22 MDT 1997

On Thu, 19 Jun 1997, Guy, Karen, and Tor Nichols wrote:

> Dave P.,
> 	With all due respect, sir, if you had a residential customer with a
> mega-buck grand that didn't work, you'd expect the courtesy of a
> 'complaint' call before the customer decided to condemn your product
> publicly. Fair?
> And you might even mutter something (under your breath) about the
> customer's common sense around letting a major investment deteriorate like
> that. Maybe?
> 	Again, with respect. I've just know that it's real frustrating to hear
> about complaints when the customer hasn't even called. There's two
> manufacturers represented with that piano, and I betcha they'd love to have
> the instrument fully utilized and showing off their stuff. Even though the
> new BPO units don't use Pianodisc. Ask. It COULD benefit the dept., you think?
> Guy

I didn't mean to denigrate the piano or the player.  I was just trying to
say that so far, the music division has not found this instrument to be
in demand.  The piano is used and appreciated.  The player mechanism is
not.  Some students here have the feeling that devices like these are job
supplanters, and don't want to encourage their use.  There are a couple
of hotels here in Dallas that have piano disk systems in the bars.
Resentment of that in the music school is predictable.

I really didn't mean to take a shot at anything.  This was just an
observation about the use of this 1 unit at this 1 school.

dave