Kinky deal on campus

Keith A. McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Tue Jun 17 12:57 MDT 1997

Part of Guy Nichols' post:
>       ...The short of it is that NMSU's music dept was given(or loaned?)
>a 1924 S&S
>'B', in the Louis style, way back in the late sixties or early seventies...

Determining the given or loaned would certainly simplify this situation.

>        ...I backed out, pending deliberations between the music dept. and
>the 'family'.

Smart move.

>        I've already made my position clear with the dean, in that I think it's
>rotten of the family to even consider taking this piano back after 25ish
>years and lots of repairs...I guess I'm wondering if there's any of you
>folks that have seen donated
>pianos get repo'd before, and if you might have any advice for the dean of
>this dept., as far as fighting-off the repo attempt.

Yes, I have experienced pianos donated as loaners (is that a conflict of
words).  And here is where I will offer a different perspective.  Think of
the 25ish years this school has had the *opportunity* to use and experience
a Steinway B without ever having to pay a purchase price.  Pretty
impressive fact.

>        Budgets are tight for them, and as it is, we already loan them three
>grands and a couple of studios(with Baldwins' help). They can't afford to
>replace another, and I can't loan them any more than what they've got.
>
>        Any input?

Fund raising or another piano donor are two possible options for NSMU.
(I hope your loaners are in writing    :-)

Keith A. McGavern, RPT
kam544@ionet.net
Oklahoma Baptist University
Shawnee, Oklahoma, USA