Kinky deal on campus

Guy, Karen, and Tor Nichols nicho@lascruces.com
Mon Jun 16 11:56 MDT 1997

List,
	Got a non-technical music dept kinky deal up in the air, and thought I'd
hunt for input from those with similar experiences.
	The short of it is that NMSU's music dept was given(or loaned?) a 1924 S&S
'B', in the Louis style, way back in the late sixties or early seventies.
In '75, they had extensive work done on this unit, including soundboard
repair, hammers, dampers, new pins and strings.
	Now there's a single-mom-daughter-in-law-p.e.teacher (of the family that
gave the piano) that wants to have her two kids in lessons, and the family
is wanting the piano back.(!)
	The current dean of music wasn't here then, and has no idea what the
original deal was, etc. etc., and at first didn't want to make waves or
generate bad feelings with this rather influential family.
	The piano, by the way, is in the main bandroom, and is played a fair
amount. The cab is in real rough shape, but it's otherwise quite servicable.
	I got a couple of wholesale dollar guestimates for the dean, and with that
info, he may decide to fight the 'repo'.
	The rock-and-a-hard-spot scenario for me is that the
single-mom-daughter-of-the-givers came to me during our annaul rotation
sale(Baldwin loaners) and decided to purchase a 243 studio. After the
"sale" was made, she presented me with the story of the old 'B', and said
that she might have it for trade, etc. Kinky.
	I backed out, pending deliberations between the music dept. and the 'family'.
	I've already made my position clear with the dean, in that I think it's
rotten of the family to even consider taking this piano back after 25ish
years and lots of repairs. I don't really want any part of profiting from
the schools' loss, in case single-mom does get the 'B'(which she doesn't
have room for) and sells or trades for one of my pianos.
	I guess I'm wondering if there's any of you folks that have seen donated
pianos get repo'd before, and if you might have any advice for the dean of
this dept., as far as fighting-off the repo attempt.
	Budgets are tight for them, and as it is, we already loan them three
grands and a couple of studios(with Baldwins' help). They can't afford to
replace another, and I can't loan them any more than what they've got.
	Any input?

Guy Nichols, RPT
service includes:
New Mexico State University
Pan Am Center
Las Cruces Symphony
El Paso Symphony
Guy Nichols, RPT
nicho@lascruces.com
	You are what your deep driving desire is.
	As your desire is, so is your will.
	As your will is, so is your deed.
	As your deed is, so is your destiny.
		--Brihadaranyaka Upanishad IV.4.5