key bushings

Robert B Edwardsen edwardsn@mail.rpa.net
Mon Jun 16 11:47 MDT 1997

Hi Don:
        I would also be interested in knowing how the leather bushings work.
I did hear from Willis Snyder in a class back in Buffalo at a NYSCON
conference that he had found leather wore out just as quickly as felt in a
heavily used piano.  It would be interesting to here comments from
technicians with first hand experience.  How do you plan to glue them in?
Will you use a single or double sided caul?  I use heated double sided brass
cauls (learned from Paul Kupelian) with hide glue applied directly to the
felt in long strips and reheated by the cauls when installed.  I would be
interested in knowing if anyone has done this procedure with leather and had
sucess.

Rob Edwardsen, RPT
University of Rochester