New Steinway D hammer tails

Paul Kupelian kupelian@Oswego.EDU
Tue Jun 10 11:05 MDT 1997

Keith,

I have many sets of Steinway hammers installed without useing a checkering
file.  Having attended one of Bill Garlicks classes at Steinway, I learned
that checkering increases backcheck wear and that just sanding with rough
sandpaper to just rough the tails is sufficient.

> One thing caught my attention on the hammer tails though.  They are not
> roughed.  However, they seem to be checking just fine.  Should I leave
> alone until evidence of poor checking, or go ahead and use a checkering
> file as a general guideline?

Regards,
Paul

Paul Kupelian, RPT