key bushings

David Skolnik dskolnik@msmnyc.edu
Thu Jul 10 12:18 MDT 1997

At 11:33 AM 7/9/97 +0000, you wrote:

>Hi Tom,

>I remember Bill Spurlock writing about using two 4" files
>epoxied together to size the mortices.  I seem to have a hard
>time finding a 4" file.  You mentioned "correct size files glued
>together".  Where do you get the differnent files?
>
>Thanks in advance...
>
>David ilvedson, RPT
>Pacifica, CA

David -

Perhaps someone with a better filing system can tell you in which issue of
the Journal  Bill Spurlock's article appeared.

I use 4" Nicholson Mill Bastard files.  I originally tried a cheaper brand
but found them to be warped and of inconsistent thickness.  Bastard is the
coarsest cut (I believe) which would minimize clogging.  I ordered mine from
MSC  (800-645-7270), a large hardware distributor, mainly in the East and
South.  Their most Westerly location is in Denver (800-332-0210).  You must
have suppliers like that out there.

I grind the first 3/4' off as it is too narrow to be of use for this purpose
and interferes with the penetration of the file, especially into the front
mortise.

The FILLING used to make the sandwich is optional.  Veneer works,  I've also
tried using precision ground stock (available from same source).   I believe
Bill or someone used one of the thick gray epoxy materials and used one or
more micrometers to clamp/squeeze the sandwich down to the desired
thickness.  Epoxy has to be thick enough not to run.

When dry, the sides can be cleaned up, a slight chamfer ground on the
leading edge of the file to make insertion easier, and a nice handle put on.
Your hand can tend to cramp without a handle.

Remember to be careful doing the key buttons and front  mortises of the
sharps.  The walls are thin.  A vice can be helpful, but if the pressure
from the vise distorts the sides of the mortise inward, you will be
over-enlarging it.

Let me know if I've given any egregiously poor advice, somebody.
David Skolnik
Manhattan School Of Music
dskolnik@msmnyc.edu
http://msmnyc.edu